Elevation of the feminine? What does this mean? Be sure to read the previous article in order to understand the concepts mentioned in this one.
As mentioned, there are three stages of the Matrix prophecy:
- An initial, action by Neo with the Source (apart from the people in the Matrix realm and ‘physical’ Zion)
- An interim period that began with the resetting of the Matrix and continues
- The final redemption of humanity – the fulfillment of the ‘prophecy’
Revisiting a kabbalistic text on this matter, note the specifics on how the first action is ‘concealed’ in the “inner sanctum” (the Source), how it had a specific, non-lasting effect, and how the final stage (zechirah) will involve the people themselves:
“…The concealment was only removed in the inner sanctum, the place of the Neshama … but not from without – the bodies of the physical people. The opening was momentary, it did not last forever. However it did what it was supposed to and then the gateway closed once again, until the final, eternal redemption … when this first union is complete, there will be none other like it until the stage of zechirah occurs.”
Secrets of the Redemption, Moshe Chaim Luzzatto (1707-1746)
Neo’s actions thus far have led to the first stage of the redemption of humanity, called ‘pekidah’ in kabbalistic literature. Although he altered the relationship between the people and machines, his actions did not bring the destruction of the Matrix and freedom to all of the humans.
This has led us into the interim stage, called ‘ma’avar.’ This is a peculiar time of transition, where elements of the old remain, yet aspect of what is to come become revealed.
As the “Secrets of the Redemption” text above states, this stage is a temporary one. The Oracle confirmed this:
Architect: Just how long do you think this peace is going to last?
Oracle: As long as it can.
To get to the final stage (zechirah) and destruction of the Matrix itself, will require human action on a widespread scale. This is the basic idea called the “arousal from below.” (Aramaic: itaruta d’ltata.)
As with any time of transformation, there will be conflicting intellectual and emotional battles within each individual and between people.
This was also alluded to at the end of The Matrix Revolutions:
Architect: You’ve played a very dangerous game.
Oracle: Change always is.
Review: Masculine Dimension of the Six
Before addressing details of this final stage, let’s revisit the major concepts concerning Neo being the 6th version of ‘the One’:
- As the 6th “One,” Neo directly engaged with the Source, while in his human body, outside of the Matrix world. Recall when Neo met the Architect, he was in his Matrix form. He declined to go through the door to the Source while in that state — something the previous 5 versions of “the One” had accepted. What Neo had to do was at a “more completed” state than those before him.
- As the Architect stated:
- Your five predecessors were, by design, based on a similar predication – a contingent affirmation that was meant to create a profound attachment to the rest of your species, facilitating the function of the One. While the others experienced this in a very general way, your experience is far more specific – vis a vis love.
- As the Architect stated:
- This idea of the ‘6th’ has two components to it:
- The time-related concept of 6 stages. (He is the 6th ‘One’ in the 6th version of the Matrix.)
- The rectification of the 6 emanations from Chesed down to Yesod. This group of 6 relates to the ‘masculine’ (pro-active) persona of the divine ‘son’ or ‘groom.’ The rectified 6 emanations constitute the “Path of the One” (“Jacob’s ladder”).
- Neo, through his selflessness and struggles, has come to ‘know himself.’ (Remember the “Temet Nosce” sign in the Oracle’s apartment.) To ‘know’ in kabbalah means to “make an intimate connection.” Neo did more than walk the “Path of the One.’ By rectifying the 6 emanations within, he has himself ‘become’ the Path.
- This ‘masculine’ group of 6 sefirot is the ‘connection’ between the lowest feminine emanation of Malkhut (the Matrix world) to the upper feminine sefirah of Binah (Oracle/the ‘mother’). What Neo has done is to create a unity between the two feminine elements. (See diagram below.)
Neo’s accomplishment was the important first step (pekidah) for what would next be required. Recall what the Oracle said to Neo at the beginning of The Matrix Reloaded:
Oracle: “We’re all here to do what we’re all here to do. I’m interested in one thing, Neo, the future. And believe me, I know – the only way to get there is together.”
As usual, there’s more hidden within the words of the Oracle than seen at first glance. This is especially true of the word ‘together.’ As we’re finding out, she meant more than just Neo and herself.
The Feminine Aspect of the Matrix
As discussed in our Introductory articles on the Worlds of Existence and the ten emanations, as well as the profile on Trinity, the concept of the “lower feminine” has multiple, related aspects to it:
- The sefirah/emanation of Malkhut/Kingdom, the “world of concealment” — which is the Matrix world. (Bottom/red in diagram.)
- A persona of the divine presence within the Matrix (the ‘bride’). One aspect of this is Trinity’s role as Neo’s partner.
- All of the humans who are out or seeking out of the Matrix existence. They are also considered part of the ‘bride.’
Over the first three movies, Neo and Trinity fulfill the roles of the “groom and bride” personae on multiple occasions. Their accomplishments paved the way for Neo’s ultimate actions, but there needs to be a great awakening among the humans for the complete change in their reality to occur.
Looking back at the quote from, “Secrets of the Redemption” above, what Neo did at the level of the “inner sanctum,” (the Source), the people must themselves emulate, as the ‘bride’ on a collective, ‘bodily’ scale.
There are difficulties with this process, however, both relating to the ‘passivity’ of Malkhut.
- Malkhut ‘receives’ anything that comes down from above/beyond. This means it’s in a constant state of resolving opposites – not a simple task for humans, and what makes life very confusing at times.
- Being the ‘final’ sefirah, it has no further emanation for it to convey something to. It requires a connection to something to enable it to act in an active manner.
Elevation of the Feminine
In order for this attribute of Malkhut to function ‘proactively,’ it has to act in the manner of the ‘masculine’ attributes above. We see how this does occur within certain individuals – those who have escaped the Matrix.
That “spark of return” is strong enough in some humans, but even they need assistance:
Kid: I know, but you got me out! You saved me!
Neo: You saved yourself.
Both Neo and Kid’s statements are true – they depend on each other.
The question is, How can this come about on a ‘collective’ scale, that is required for the complete redemption of humanity?
Part of the answer involves what occurred toward the end of The Matrix Revolutions. where the light from the Source passed through Neo. That light permeated and impacted the entire Matrix, not only ‘resetting’ it, but becoming more accessible to everyone in it.
This light is called the “hidden light” in kabbalah (“ohr haganuz”). This is a powerful force, preceding creation, that was made “virtually inaccessible” to humans as direct access would annihilate them.
It is said, “Where the Ohr HaGanuz goes, evil cannot remain.” We see this play out at the end of The Matrix Revolutions, as Smith (and all his ‘copies’) vanish in the presence of this light.
So why not just take out the whole Matrix system? The answer is one of the deepest concepts of the story.
The Matrix is necessary for humanity. It is the means for humanity to bring repair to themselves and find their way back to their ‘true selves’ before they became arrogant and materialistic.
Neo had reached such a high level of self-nullification that he ‘merited’ access to this light, in order to save everyone from the unmitigated judgment that Smith had brought. This is an important part of the function of “the One” in the first stage of pekidah.
Since Neo reached the Source and brought its light into the Matrix, what was before possible on a small scale, now has the potential to happen ‘globally.’ The ‘connecting’ light from the Source enables the ‘passive’ feminine emanation to connect to the level of the active masculine, and take on more ‘proactive’ attributes.
Though this light/energy may now be more ‘available’ to the humans, connecting to it is another matter. Will the people remain, “… inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system,” as Morpheus said to Neo, or do they be drawn together to something beyond the self-centered materialism that the Matrix offers?
And what help might they receive?
Manifestations of the Feminine in Matrix 4
Looking forward, there are three female characters who are poised to make a big impact regarding the “arousal from below.”
Having already played a key role as the lower feminine aspect of ‘bride,’ and having died in The Matrix Revolutions, Trinity will reflect a more ‘supernal’ aspect of what this represents. Kabbalistically, the characters of Jacob and his wife Rachel relate to Neo and Trinity. An interesting comparison within this dynamic is that just as Rachel died along the way, and Jacob went on, Trinity died while Neo went on. It is said that as long as her people are lost in exile, Rachel cannot find her final rest and remains “on the road” awaiting their return.
Rachel and Trinity represent the emanation of Malkhut. Another concept associated with this attribute is the “power of dignity.” This concept relates to the true reality of the humans, presently ‘enslaved’ in the Matrix. Trinity will continue in a role helping them to escape the world of concealment they remain trapped in. Inseparable from the rest of humanity, she continues to identify with their exile. The power of dignity within Malkhut, will help elevate them back to their source at Keter, which is ‘crown.’
As we discussed in her Character Profile, Niobe has a strong association with the aspect of Yesod, which is the confluence of the attributes of Netzach and Hod. These two attributes are strongly manifested in Morpheus and Lock respectively. They happen to be the two men she had relationships with. Yesod is the concept of ‘synergy.’
Niobe is fully human and remains alive in her body outside of the Matrix. She is a vital connection between the Matrix world and what is ‘beyond’ it. Another main aspect of Yesod is ‘connection,’ specifically between Malkhut below and the rest of the emanations above.
As mentioned in Rama Kandra’s blog (Connections Matter 1.3), a “grown-up” Sati character should be in the works. As she is a program, Sati’s age is not of great relevance, nor how her exterior would ‘age’ within the Matrix.
What is significant with Sati (and largely missed through 20 years of Matrix discussions) is that there had to have been a reason for her to come from her world into the Matrix. Yes, we’re told it was because her ‘parents, Kandra and Kamala, wanted to ‘save her’ from some fate. As with everything in this story, there is more (kabbalistically) beneath the surface.
Sati is unique in that she represents both the confluence of the right and left sides (i.e., her father and mother) as well as above and below, coming from the (masculine) program world into the (feminine) Matrix world.
Thus we have:
- Trinity: A human who has attained a higher level of connection (consciousness), via bittul and her death.
- Niobe: A living and freed human, connecting the Matrix and the world beyond.
- Sati: A program (angel/spiritual force) that has ‘descended’ from her world into the Matrix.
These three will act as integrated parts of the redemptive process.
The 4th Matrix movie will have a dramatic shift in the mindset of much more than a handful of people. This will cause the end of the Matrix, freedom for humans, and the creation of a new reality for all.
“We—collective humanity—must rethink and reimagine our world and our personal lives along spiritual lines.” … “On the collective level, human passion, rightly directed, can change the world.”
Tamar Frankiel, “The Gift of Kabbalah: Discovering the Secrets of Heaven, Renewing Your Life on Earth”